More Officers Will Be Out for Santa Crawl

By: Joe Harrington Email
By: Joe Harrington Email

RENO -- The Reno Santa Crawl is set for Saturday, but this year there will be added public safety measures.

Sgt. Joe Robinson of the Reno Police Department said more officers will be out than last year at the event, which is expected to draw 12-thousand to 15-thousand people.

Robinson also said a traditional photo under the arch has been moved up from midnight to 10 p.m.

"We're hoping it makes it safer obviously at midnight the temperatures are going to be really cold and there is plenty of great businesses and casinos downtown that you can be visiting at midnight. Why would you want to be standing in the street at midnight?," Robinson said.

A San Francisco planner of the event said talks with the City of Reno about when to shut down the street broke down about three weeks ago. After that, the Silver Legacy was issued a permit for the closure at 10 p.m.

"We felt like it was such a great tradition... we didn't want it to die," Tracy Soliday of the Silver Legacy said.

A planner said the earlier time may result in more media coverage. The City of Reno said it is not the intent to bring the event to a conclusion sooner.

The crawl began thirteen years ago, and helps support charitable causes. It also provides customers to downtown hotels and bars.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235657101 - kolotv.com/a?a=235657101