Man Found Dead After Mysterious Apartment Fire ID'd

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

RENO, NV- A man is dead after his apartment caught fire sometime Monday.

Reno fire officials tell KOLO 8 News Now the body of 64-year-old Jesse Southhard was discovered around 8 Monday night, when a friend went to check on him, but the fire itself may have started sometime Monday morning.

The fire happened in a two-story apartment unit in the 200 block of Limber Pine Drive in Lemmon Valley. Only one unit was damaged. The fire apparently burned itself out because of a lack of oxygen.

Investigators say sometime Monday morning, someone living in an apartment next door smelled smoke, but thought it was coming from a malfunctioning heater. It wasn't until the victim's friend went to check up on him that anyone realized a fire had started.

Sharon Spangler with the city of Reno says it's too soon to know what caused the fire, but a fire inspector is hoping people are extremely careful with seasonal things such as space heaters and candles.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238999321 - kolotv.com/a?a=238999321
Gray Television, Inc.