Gas Fireplace Dangers Lead to Consumer Warnings

3-year-old Signe isn't shy about showing you the inside of her hands.

Although they don't look too bad now, when she was 11 months old she burned them horribly after laying them on the front glass on a gas fired fireplace.

Her brother had in advertently played with the remote control and fired up the appliance at very low setting. My wife heard Signe make some off noises and saw Signe had both of her hands were on the glass front, says dad Sean Whelan

By some estimates the glass can reach up to 500 degrees.

Consumer watch dog group FairWarning says more than 2000 kids have been injured by the fireplaces in the last ten years and has caught the eye of the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Currently the commission is looking at the industry itself to come up with some solutions.

That's resulted in 'Hot Glass Will Cause Burns" warning located most frequently inside the owner's manual.

Beginning in 2015 mandatory protective barriers will be part of the entire unit which should help further prevent children getting burns.

However there are no plans to provide retro-fitted screens to current owners.

For Whelan, its all too slow and not enough, especially when you consider his daughter faces another major surgery for her hands.

" If this pretty pane of glass in your living room reaches 500 degrees let the consumer know and let them make their own educated decision as to whether they want to purchase this," says Whelan.

Whelan says its estimated more than 40,000 of the gas fired fire places with glass doors have been sold in the Western United States.

Whelan is currently in litigation with a manufacturer of the gas fireplace whose glass doors burned his daughter's hands.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183444371 - kolotv.com/a?a=183444371
Gray Television, Inc.