September 18, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - The Washoe County School District intends to apply for up to $300,000 in federal grants to provide funding to help students and staff in the wake of last month's fatal shooting at Sparks Middle School.
Washoe County School District Chief of Staff Kristen McNeill told the Reno Gazette-Journal the district will apply for a $50,000 grant from the Education Department to address immediate needs following a school emergency.
Most of that money will be used for trauma training for educators to provide support to the school's staff and students. Some of it will be used to pay for substitutes for staff time off for counseling.
McNeill said the district also will apply for a $250,000 grant to help hire more full-time support staff in the future.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.