Fire Out in Sparks Apartment Building

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

SPARKS, NV -- Two apartment units are destroyed after a fire Tuesday afternoon at a Sparks apartment complex. The fire broke out at the Park Vista Apartments on Sparks Boulevard. Bob King of the Sparks Fire Department said the cause of the fire is still being investigated.

The fire happened at building A-D, prompting the evacuation of the building. There is no indication when people will be able to return to undamaged apartments. In addition to the two destroyed apartments, four other apartments were damaged.

King said a propane tank on the balcony of one of the apartments helped the fire spread. Crews from Reno and Sparks battled the two-alarm fire.

Witnesses said they heard a "whistling," followed by an explosion.

The American Red Cross is assisting those who are unable to return home at this time.

King said some apartments may be able to be lived in by tonight, if electrical services for the units can be isolated.

A resident described hearing an alarm, gathering belongings and escaping the building.

Part of the building's roof was seen to have collapsed.

Several people suffered minor injuries, according to firefighters -- a woman with asthma became excited and was taken to a hospital. A man also said he burned his hand trying to put out the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 164513216