SPARKS, NV - The City of Sparks Fire Department is placing a restriction on any and all open burning in the City of Sparks for the summer season.
Due to record levels of dryness and low moisture content, Sparks Fire Department has seen many red flag days, and fire conditions are extreme, which could maximize the potential for a catastrophic fire.
Each year, U.S. firefighters respond to nearly 8,000 home fires involving grills, hibachis, and barbecues. These fires cause an average of $80 million in direct property damage.
Over 18,500 patients visit emergency rooms each year with grilling-related injuries; over 25% of these burns are to children under 5 years of age.
“We’re fortunate to have great grilling weather summer and fall,” says Sparks Division Chief and Fire Marshal Bob King. “Everyone must be careful around these open flame and ignition sources.”
Use these guidelines to protect your family and loved ones:
-Use grills at least 10 feet from your house and anything that will burn: This includes siding, deck railings, eaves, and overhanging branches
-Establish a 3-foot “Kid-Free Zone” around the grilling area. Watch out for pets, too!
Grill outdoors only: Minimize fire hazard and avoid risk of carbon-monoxide poisoning
Dispose of hot coals only in proper receptacles: Coals may retain heat for 24 hours Periodically remove grease/fat buildup in trays below the grill to avoid ignition and flare-ups
-Use long-handled tools to give the chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames
For further information, please visit www.sparksfire.com, click on Prevention, or contact Bob King, Fire Marshal, at 353-2261.