SPARKS, NV - A fire burned through a building at the Marina Gardens apartment complex, leaving four families without homes Saturday night.
In about ten minutes, the Pulalasi's home was destroyed.
"I was just scared. I was trying to get out, get my parents out," Ta'a Pulalasi said. "We lost everything and we have nothing now. Just got to start over."
All Ta'a grabbed was her phone, leaving cherished mementos, like a picture of her late brother, in the dust.
She and her family escaped without any injuries. They were just one of four families in the building that lost their homes Saturday afternoon.
"There are eight units in this building. We have three that are heavily damaged with fire, one with some minor damage and the other four appear to be in good condition actually and we were able to stop the fire from spreading to the other four units," said Sparks Fire Department Battalion Chief Barry Hagen.
The Sparks Fire Department was able to knock down the fire in about 10 minutes and says it appears to have started from one of the balconies. The cause hasn't been determined.
"There will be a lot of reconstruction before people can live in these units again," added Hagen.
Although only one resident and a firefighter suffered minor injuries, it could have been much worse if it weren't for 12-year-old Tyler Green.
"My son's a hero. He got them out so quickly because I was just down the street and I came right here and it was already taking place," Katrina Green, Tyler's mother said.
She stepped outside for a few minutes when her son saw smoke. He then immediately got his younger brother and sister out of the apartment.
"I guess that feels good. I just wish i could have saved my dog," Tyler Green said.
Green's dog and two other cats were trapped inside and couldn't be saved.
The Red Cross is helping the displaced families get back on their feet, but for many, the shock is still too real and the coping has just begun.
"You got to keep smiling," Pulalasi said. "I got younger ones and nieces, so I got to keep smiling around them."
"Hug your kids tonight because you never know," Green said.