Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi smiles during a press conference at Chigi Premier's palace, in Rome, Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011. Berlusconi says he is not worried by an impending prostitution trial, in his first public comments since he was indicted. The 74-year-old Italian leader was ordered Tuesday to stand trial on charges he paid a 17-year-old Moroccan girl for sex, and then used his influence to cover it up. (AP Photo/Riccardo De Luca)
Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi underwent face surgery for four hours Monday to repair damage he suffered when a man hurled a statuette at him in 2009.
The 74-year-old Berlusconi was operated on with general anesthesia in Milan, said a statement from his office that quoted his personal doctor, Alberto Zangrillo.
Berlusconi suffered a broken nose and two broken teeth when a man hurled a miniature statue of Milan's cathedral at him at close range at the end of a political rally in Milan on Dec. 13, 2009.
The attacker had a history of psychological problems.
The operation Monday "became necessary to restore the anatomy and jaw function that had been gravely compromised" in the attack, said the brief statement.
Without detail, it said the operation involved a bone transplant and an implant.
Berlusconi spent about a month out of public view after the attack. Photos of his bloodied face and shocked expression made the front-pages of newspapers around the world at the time.
The premier also had heart surgery in the United States in 2006 to install a pacemaker.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.