Valentine's Day Tips for the Classroom!
by Darci Warner of Darci Decorates TM
Valentine's Day Cards
For younger students who cannot read yet or have a difficult time reading names, paste a small picture of your child under the "From" section on the card, with your child's name written underneath! Use a "headshot" picture and not a full body picture that is hard to see.
This is great picture association for the other students and for the parent's who go through the cards at home to put a face with the name of their child's friend. You can print your own digital pictures or take them to a copy service store to help you.
Valentine's Day "Sealed With A Kiss" Cupcakes
These cupcakes are easy treats to make for the classroom. I always like to include a special treat somehow on my cupcakes and this is what I have come up with for this loving holiday.
1. Bake and cool your cupcakes (don't feel guilty using boxed cake mixes, I do and I always get great compliments), unwrap Hershey Kisses ™ and push them upside down into the middle top of the unfrosted cupcakes... your secret kiss!
2. Either spread frosting (My Favorite Frosting recipe is what I use and recommend) with a spatula or squeeze frosting through a large pastry bag with large star tip #826 onto the cupcake top making a large rosette (See Tip #826).
3. You can spray frosting with pink or red Edible Food Coloring Spray or just leave the frosting white.
4. Decorate the top with sprinkles (red/pink) which you can find at your local grocery store.
5. Place a wrapped candy of your choosing, such as a chocolate heart, miniature candy bar or even another Hershey Kiss ™.
6. To top it off, use new curling ribbon in strips at least 24" long before curling, after curling the ribbon should be at least 5" long, long enough that would encourage someone to take it off their cupcake before eating. Place the ribbons (2 -3 pieces) behind the candy on top so, it doesn't cover up the candy and have it drape towards the front. Using pink, red and white ribbon colors make the cupcakes look so festive and I love having the ribbon pieces long enough to drape down the sides really giving it the fancy look, like a gift!
7. Place some smaller candies in front of the larger piece like small heart candies or other yummy sweets.
The children will enjoy both looking and eating them. What a great surprise to bite into a cupcake only to be kissed! They will certainly feel special on such a loving day.
Important: These cupcakes are designed for ages 3 and up.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Items needed for "Sealed With A Kiss" Cupcakes:
Baked & cooled cupcakes (don't forget the paper liners)
Sprinkles (red, pink and/or white)
Wrapped candy (chocolate heart, miniature candy bar or another Hershey Kiss™)
New curling ribbon in pink, red and/or white.
Smaller candies (heart message candies)
Pink or red Edible Food Color Spray
26" - 24" Pastry Bag
Large Star Metal Tip #826