WASHINGTON (AP) - IKEA is recalling millions of children's lamps following the death of a child who choked on the lamp's cord and another was injured.
The "SMILA" series wall-mounted children's lamps were sold at IKEA from 1999 through 2013 for $10 to $13. There were 2.9 million of the recalled lamps sold in the U.S. and 1.1 million sold in Canada. A total of 23 million were sold worldwide. Consumers should stop using the lamp and contact IKEA for a free repair kit to attach the cord to the wall.
In the fatal case, a 16-month-old child died after getting entangled in the lamp's cord. Additionally, a 15-month-old child became entangled in the lamp's cord and nearly strangled. In both cases, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.
For more information: IKEA can be called at (888) 966-4532 or online at www.ikea-usa.com. Click on the "Recall" link at the top of the page.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.