November 26, 2014
MARIPOSA, Calif. (AP) - State fire officials say a wildfire near the main route into Yosemite National Park that has forced more than a thousand residents to evacuate their homes was caused by an unattended campfire.
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokeswoman Karen Guillemin said on Tuesday that a human caused the fire but did not release more details about where it started.
Guillemin said the fire, which began on Sunday, has burned 1,600 acres and led to the evacuation of 800 homes and about 1,500 people.
The blaze 6 miles northeast of Mariposa has burned 2 ½ square miles remains 15 percent contained.
No structures have been damaged or destroyed. One firefighter suffered a minor injury.
Highway 140 into Yosemite National Park remains open.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.