Third Person Dies from Mushroom Poisoning

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

LOOMIS, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a third person has died from consuming toxic mushrooms at a California senior care facility.

The Sacramento Bee reports the state Department of Social Services confirmed the death. According to the newspaper, the agency said the facility, Gold Age Villa in Placer County, called to report the third death on Monday.

The victim's name was not released.

Two other people died and three others were sickened when they ingested soup made from the toxic mushrooms. The caretaker who prepared the soup apparently picked the mushrooms from the home's backyard and did not know they were poisonous.

State food regulations do not prohibit the use of foraged ingredients in food prepared at care facilities, though they do prevent the use of home-canned foods and unpasteurized milk.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180409021 -
Gray Television, Inc.