September 17, 2014
LOOMIS, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a third person has died from consuming toxic mushrooms at a California senior care facility.
The Sacramento Bee reports the state Department of Social Services confirmed the death. According to the newspaper, the agency said the facility, Gold Age Villa in Placer County, called to report the third death on Monday.
The victim's name was not released.
Two other people died and three others were sickened when they ingested soup made from the toxic mushrooms. The caretaker who prepared the soup apparently picked the mushrooms from the home's backyard and did not know they were poisonous.
State food regulations do not prohibit the use of foraged ingredients in food prepared at care facilities, though they do prevent the use of home-canned foods and unpasteurized milk.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.