September 23, 2014
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) - A school board member says police found bomb-making materials seven years ago in the home of the gunman who killed five people last week in Santa Monica.
Oscar de la Torre told The Associated Press Tuesday that police discovered the materials after John Zawahri threatened fellow high school students in 2006.
De la Torre says the board was briefed by school administrators after police found he was learning to make explosives. Police say Zawahri had a 2006 criminal record, but won't divulge details because he was a juvenile.
De la Torre was a neighbor of Zawahri and says the gunman's father told him he had new problems with his son eight months ago.
Police say Zawahri killed his father and brother before the rampage that ended at Santa Monica College.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.