Smoke plumes rise behind the Marine Corps Camp Pendleton entrance Friday, May 16, 2014, in Oceanside, Calif. San Diego County officials said Friday five wildfires have been 100 percent contained. Still, crews were focusing efforts on two large fires � one in the city of San Marcos and two blazes at the Marine Corps' Camp Pendleton. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
SAN DIEGO (AP) - All fire evacuation orders have been lifted as firefighters gain the upper hand on the remaining of nearly a dozen blazes in San Diego County.
County officials said Sunday all road closures were also lifted.
Only four fires are still burning, including three at Camp Pendleton.
Cooler temperatures and calmer winds have aided firefighters this weekend.
Some 11 major fires erupted last week in San Diego County amid high temperatures and dry conditions.
Officials say at least 47 homes were destroyed during last week's outbreak of nearly a dozen wildfires in San Diego County.
State fire officials said Sunday at least 39 homes in the suburb of San Marcos were destroyed.
Another eight houses were destroyed in the neighboring suburb of Carlsbad. Both suburbs are 30 miles north of the city of San Diego.
Authorities are still assessing the damages from the wildfires but so far losses have reached more than $20 million.
The San Marcos fire is the last of four remaining blazes still burning - including three at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base.
State fire officials say the San Marcos fire was 85 percent contained Sunday morning.
Firefighters have been helped by the weekend's cooler temperatures and calmer winds.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.