Redding Man With Flesh-Eating Bacteria Dies

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

REDDING, Calif. (AP) - A 36-year-old Northern California man infected with a rare, flesh-eating bacteria has died.

Shasta Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Karen Hoyt says the man died at the Redding hospital on Sunday. She declined further comment to the Record Searchlight of Redding (, citing patient confidentiality.

The newspaper reports that Shasta County public health officials confirmed the death on Thursday although they did not say how the man became infected with necrotizing fasciitis (NECK-ro-TIE-zing FA-sigh-tus).

The disease is caused when a deadly bacteria germ spreads a tissue-killing toxin after invading the body, typically through a minor cut.

Shasta County Public Health Officer Andrew Deckert says the county has probably had a few other cases in the past, but none he can recall that were reported.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173927711 -
Gray Television, Inc.