December 21, 2014
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms.
Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that 86-year-old Barbara Lopes and 73-year-old Teresa Olesniewicz - residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis - died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.
Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed says the caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened. The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.
Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.