LOS ANGELES (AP) - Officials say the demolition of a bridge over Interstate 405 is on schedule and they expect to reopen the freeway as planned Monday morning.
Metro spokesman Rick Jagger said early Sunday that crews working around the clock have so far taken down all but two columns of the Mulholland Drive bridge.
Carmageddon II, the sequel to last year's shutdown of one of the nation's busiest freeways, is going according to script as many Los Angeles drivers heeded warnings to stay off the road. Demolition of the span is part of a $1 billion project to add a new carpool lane to the 405.
Drivers will face additional challenges Sunday morning as the Herbalife Los Angeles Triathlon temporarily closed many surface streets between Venice Beach and downtown LA. Jagger says Metro has detoured 42 bus lines.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.