LOS ANGELES (AP) - The driver of a car that plowed into crowds at the Venice boardwalk in Los Angeles, killing an Italian honeymooner and injuring more than a dozen people, has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges.
City News Service says 38-year-old Nathan Campbell entered pleas Wednesday, following a judge's order earlier this month that he must stand trial.
Campbell has been jailed since the Aug. 3 incident that killed newlywed Alice Gruppioni.
Witnesses said the driver maneuvered around barriers and intentionally aimed at tourists and vendors.
Campbell's attorney, Philip Dube, has said his client struggled to get the car out of park because of a faulty shift lever, gunned it, then panicked when it lurched forward and hit Gruppioni.
Campbell could face life in prison if he is convicted.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.