September 19, 2014
MARYSVILLE, Calif. (AP) - A 911 dispatcher in California was startled when a caller turned out to be her fiancee reporting their infant son was choking.
Dispatcher Britney Melchor told KCRA-TV in a story Wednesday that she was training another dispatcher who took the call and wrote down the home address.
Melchor realized it was her own son who needed medical attention.
Melchor says she initially panicked. But then her training took hold, and she dispatched paramedics to her home.
Her 14-month-old son, Maverick, had swallowed a metal washer, starting the May 27 ordeal. The boy's father, Robert Kimball, was able to dislodge the washer just as help arrived.
Melchor is a dispatcher in Marysville, a small city about 40 miles north of Sacramento.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.