October 24, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - A California man is appealing the U.S. Bureau of Land Management's decision to increase the Burning Man festival's crowd cap on the Nevada desert.
Christopher Brooks' appeal of the agency's increase in the cap from 50,000 to 60,900 will be considered by the Interior Board of Land Appeals.
Brooks says Burning Man should not have been "rewarded" with the population increase cap since it was placed on probation by the BLM for exceeding last year's crowd cap.
A land sailor from Cotati, Calif., he also says Burning Man is to blame for dunes that have prevented him and other groups from using the Black Rock Desert for their activities.
Burning Man spokeswoman Megan Miller did not immediately respond to messages for comment.
BLM spokesman Gene Seidlitz says he could not comment because the appeal is pending.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.