October 31, 2014
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig formally informed the Oakland A's this summer that the team's bid to move San Jose had been denied.
The San Jose Mercury News reported (http://tinyurl.com/oywgetw ) Saturday a Selig letter to the team surfaced in a federal court filing Friday night. MLB disclosed the existence of the letter as part of its legal argument to dismiss what remains of San Jose antitrust lawsuit filed against the league over the A's future stadium plans. The letter itself wasn't made public.
The court filing says Selig sent the letter to the club on June 17. The next day, San Jose filed its lawsuit accusing MLB of antitrust violations.
Oakland A's owner Lew Wolff told the paper that the club is still fighting to relocate to San Jose.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.