Child Playing With Lighter Blamed for Deadly Fire

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) - Kern County officials say a fire in Bakersfield that claimed the life of a toddler was caused by a child playing with a lighter and candle.

Investigators have said three children - ages 3, 5, and 6 - were rescued from Wednesday's fire by their mother and sustained no injuries.

But 21-month-old Aiden McDonald died.

The Kern County Fire Department released the cause on Tuesday, but did not say which child caused the fire.

The fire broke out while the children were being watched by an aunt. When their mother returned home, she went inside the burning home to rescue her children. Firefighters stopped her from going back for the toddler because the home was engulfed in flames.

The mother was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 213037981 - kolotv.com/a?a=213037981