Bomb Hazard Leads to NorCal Evacuations

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

REDDING, Calif. (AP) - Authorities have ordered the evacuation of 25 homes after bomb technicians found 40 pounds of explosives last week at the residence of a Northern California man.

Shasta County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Dave Kent said Monday that evacuations remain in effect for houses within 1,000 feet 9021 Chaparral Drive in Redding, Calif., but no residents are actually being forced to leave.

The suspect, 63-year-old D. Ray East, is a hobbyist rocket builder and blew off his own hand in an explosion Thursday. He is recovering from his injuries at a local hospital.

Sheriff Tom Bosenko said Saturday that the explosives are so dangerous that a light touch could cause them to detonate.

Kent said the sheriff's office is working with other agencies to neutralize the explosives but that there is no estimate for when the situation might be resolved.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 244804541 - kolotv.com/a?a=244804541
Gray Television, Inc.