September 21, 2014
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say two people critically injured in a butane explosion at a San Francisco Bay Area homeless encampment were making hash oil when the explosion occurred.
The blast was reported Tuesday night along railroad tracks in San Leandro. Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. J.D. Nelson tells the San Francisco Chronicle the hash oil lab was inside a tent, and the explosion likely occurred because of the accumulation of butane fumes.
The two victims ran for help to an apartment, where the man hosed himself down and the woman jumped in a bathtub.
They were taken to hospitals with critical burn injuries.
Authorities say a third person suffered a less serious burn injury when she stepped barefoot on one of the victim's clothes.
Hash oil is a byproduct of marijuana.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.