October 23, 2014
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Records showed a delay by Sacramento County Child Protective Services in responding to the case of an infant who was considered at risk after tests found he was exposed to drugs through his mother's milk.
Ryder Salmen died September 2012 after overdosing on a fatal cocktail of Xanax, methadone and the painkiller Opana.
The 8-month-old boy's mother had been warned five months earlier to stop breastfeeding because of high levels of methadone found in her baby's bloodstream.
Documents obtained under the California Public Records Act by the Sacramento Bee (http://bit.ly/18uq73d) show that social workers were required to create a safety plan for Ryder for him to remain in his mother's custody.
However, the Bee found evidence of delay in completing the safety assessment in Ryder's case.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.