August 3, 2015
LODI, Calif. (AP) - Construction workers have discovered toxic mold in every classroom building at Tokay High School in Lodi. The district will be forced to delay the start of school for five weeks and could spend millions of dollars to clean it up.
School District Superintendent Bill Huyett says there's no cost estimate yet, but getting rid of the mold is expected to add millions to a planned eight million-dollar modernization project that started last week.
Officials believe a flaw in the buildings' design allowed moisture to leak into the walls and grow mold.
Toxic mold can cause cold-like symptoms such as headaches, sneezing, runny noses, red eyes and skin rashes, as well as asthma attacks.
Summer school students have been told to report for class at Lodi Middle School starting Monday.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.