Repairs to a section of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge that collapsed in a tanker truck fire last month will be completed by Thursday night, reopening the busy freeway for Memorial Day weekend, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Monday.
By finishing the work more than a month before the June 27 deadline set by the California Department of Transportation, Rancho Cordova-based contractor C.C. Myers Inc. will receive a $5 million bonus for the work.
"Thanks to hard, around-the-clock work of Caltrans and C.C. Myers, our local partners and businesses, Bay Area motorists can once again travel through this busy interchange," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "Just in time for the holiday weekend, this roadway will be open in 26 days from when the accident occurred."
The contractor originally predicted the portion of the MacArthur Maze, which connects eastbound Interstate-80 to eastbound I-580, would be completed by June 2. Myers announced the earlier finish late last week and Schwarzenegger confirmed the opening Monday.
The early reopening is good news for commuters on one of the nation's busiest freeway interchanges, hobbled by the April 29 fire caused by an overturned gasoline tanker.
C.C. Myers bid $867,075 for the contract. Caltrans offered a bonus of $200,000 for each day the work is finished ahead of the deadline, with a maximum of $5 million. To collect the full amount under the contract, work would have to be completed by June 2.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)