California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger presents his State Budget plan during a news conference in Sacramento, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2007.(AP Photo/Steve Yeater)
SACRAMENTO (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he will
restart stalled budget talks in hopes of getting an agreement to
deal with California's projected $42 billion deficit.
The Republican governor said Wednesday that he will ask the
Legislature's four top leaders to meet with him Thursday to try
once again to reach a compromise.
He made his comments a day after he vetoed an $18 billion Democratic budget package that included new taxes and state program cuts. Schwarzenegger said the plan didn't do enough to cut spending
and clear the way for public works projects.
Democrats and Schwarzenegger want a combination of tax increases
and spending cuts to deal with the deficit. So far, Republicans
have balked at any tax hikes.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)