September 30, 2014
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (AP) - Some largemouth bass captured from
Big Bear Lake had mercury levels that exceeded recommended levels
but the water itself appears safe for drinking.
That's according to state and federal documents, which say the mercury levels in tissue samples from about a dozen bass taken from
2001 to 2005 ranged from .2 part per million to .6 part per million.
The state Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment says minors and women of childbearing age should not eat fish with a mercury level of .44 part per million or higher. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says people should limit the amount of fish they eat that have a mercury level of .3 part per million.
Trout and carp from the lake did not have excessive levels of mercury.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)