The Coast Guard said Wednesday it would quickly start a review of its response to last week's spill of 58,000 gallons of oil into San Francisco Bay.
State and city officials will join the review meant to evaluate the Coast Guard's planning for such emergencies and its response to the accident in which a cargo ship sideswiped the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
The agency has been criticized for a lapse of several hours between when officials knew the spill was 58,000 gallons - not 140 gallons as initially reported - and when that information was made public.
Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen said such reviews normally wait until after cleanup operations.
"I have determined that due to the severity of this incident and the potential benefits in identifying areas to improve response coordination and communication in the future, it is imperative that we get this review under way as quickly as possible," he said in a statement.
Separately, the National Transportation Safety Board and the U.S. attorney's office are also investigating.
Officials have ruled out mechanical error and are focusing on actions of the pilot and crew of the boat, the Cosco Busan.