September 22, 2014
Tulare fire crews discovered a major chemical leak after a group of nearby workers reported feeling nauseous and having difficulty breathing.
Tulare Fire Chief Michael Threlkeld says firefighters responded after ten workers at a recycling business on Thursday reported seeing a cloud coming from the shop next door and smelling an acrid odor in the air.
All were treated at a nearby hospital and released.
Firefighters say the fumes were coming from several hundred gallons of hazardous acids and oxidizers that were leaking from plastic containers inside GBS Distributing.
City officials have shut the business down until they obtain a proper business license and permits to store chemicals.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.