October 22, 2014
SEATTLE (AP) - The CEO of electric car company Tesla says a battery that caught fire in a Tesla vehicle was apparently impaled by a metal object.
Elon Musk wrote in a blog post Friday that fires are more common in conventional gas-powered vehicles. It's safer to power a car with a battery, Musk wrote.
Musk says a curved metal component was apparently the culprit in causing a Tesla to catch on fire Tuesday. He says the object's shape led to a powerful hit on the underside of the vehicle, punching a 3-inch hole through an armor plate that protects the car's bottom.
Tesla says the car properly contained the blaze. The driver was able to exit the highway in the Seattle suburb of Kent before flames engulfed the front of the vehicle.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.