KOLO Local News Headlines
Thursday Web Weather
Posted: 6:19 PM
- Clouds will increase overnight, as the storm track slowly sags back into the region. A cold front will push into the Pacific Northwest Thursday, before moving southeast through the area on Friday. Wind will increase and become breezy to gusty by afternoon. Expect showery weather to develop Friday, with snow and controls a possibility on the passes. The weekend will start cool and showery early Saturday, but will warm back close to average by Sunday under partly to mostly cloudy skies.
Brewing, Ranching Business Could be Hurt by FDA
Posted: 6:51 PM
- Brewers give ranchers spent grains, but the FDA wants them to change the way they do it.
Vets As First Responders Helping Save Accident Victim
Posted: 5:31 PM
- The staff of a Reno veterans center responded Tuesday to an accident right out their front door, perhaps saving the life of a victim.
The Real CSI
Updated: 5:53 PM
- Shows like CSI and Bones have created an insatiable interest in Forensic Science.
Kids and even adults want to know more about how to get into DNA testing, ballistics, and toxicology to help solve crimes. That's one reason Washoe County's Forensic Science Lab is opening its doors to the public on Thursday for tours.
Two Different, Prominent Scams Targeting the Public
Posted: 5:29 PM
- The Carson City Sheriff's Office is warning the public of a money and a grandparent scam.
Second Person Dies From Dayton Crash
Posted: 4:47 PM
- The Washoe County Coroner's Office has confirmed a second person has died as a result of Tuesday's accident near Dayton.
Push For Legal Marijuana Surfaces In Nevada
Posted: 4:06 PM
- A group hoping to ride the wave of growing marijuana acceptance has filed an initiative seeking to legalize recreational use in Nevada.
UPDATE: Two Confirmed Dead after Accident on US 50
Updated: 4:28 PM
- An accident involving a tractor trailer and a small sedan east of Dayton Tuesday has now claimed two lives
Reno Looking for Funding for Firefighters
Posted: 3:36 PM
- Reno's leaders are looking for ways to reduce impending layoffs of firefighters. Reno had requested federal dollars to fund 50 firefighter positions. When the funding didn't come through, the city manager said the budget was restructured requiring 35 layoffs
Nevada to Review Short Sale Practices
Posted: 12:08 PM
- A Nevada agency will review practices in the real estate industry following an investigation by a Reno newspaper that showed dual-agency short sales involving a prearranged cash buyer accounted for more than 10 percent of home sales last year.
More KOLO Local News Headlines
International Headlines - ABC.com
Diver Describes Searching Inside Dark, Capsized Ferry
Divers trying to retrieve bodies from the sunken South Korean ferry are finding the job "extremely difficult," feeling their way through the ink-black water with their hands as they work their way through rooms in the capsized ship.
Ferry Disaster Has Traumatized, Shamed South Korea
The entire country of South Korea, which watched a ferry filled with high school students sink on live TV and has followed the futile search for survivors with 24/7 TV coverage, appears to be have been traumatized by the tragedy.
That trauma has been compounded by a collective shame over charges of criminal negligence by much of the ship's crew, inappropriate reactions by government officials and cruel hoaxes following the sinking.
Bashar al-Assad's Deadly Loophole in Syria Deal
There's one potential chemical weapon the regime is not required to relinquish.