RENO, NV - Reno Police responded to a report of vehicle burglaries in the areas of Skyline Dr., Pioneer Dr. and Dant Blvd. Saturday morning around 9am
RPD's investigation showed that unknown suspects are breaking into vehicles taking what they want then leaving items they don't want in the area. Officers have found many items of personal property in the area and are attempting to identify and contact possible victims.
RPD says that the burglars are targeting vehicles that people are using to store items as a result of the Caughlin Fire.
Authorities are reminding residents that vehicles should not be considered a secure place to store valuable items or documents containing personal information.
RPD has made list to help residents from becoming a victims of vehicle burglary.
1. ALWAYS close your windows and lock your car doors. An open window or unlocked door is an invitation to a criminal.
2. Park in well lit areas close to the building. While parking in an isolated spot may reduce the risk of door dings, a criminal looks for cars parked out of the way in order to help ensure less attention is drawn to them.
3. ALWAYS remove loose valuables from your vehicle. This includes purses, wallets, cellular phones, laptop computers, and briefcases. A car burglar loves to see items that can be grabbed easily and carried away without much effort. A brick through the window is all it takes to gain access to those loose items.
4. Report suspicious persons seen wandering around in parking lots or looking into cars as they walk by. Don’t hesitate to call 911 to report suspicious persons, you can even call and remain anonymous.
5. If you must store electronics in your vehicle, keep a list of serial numbers for your commonly used electronic equipment. Even if you plan on never leaving a cellular phone or laptop computer in your car you should record the items make, model, and serial number which can help aid law enforcement in the recovery of the item in the event it is taken.
Anyone with information is asked to call Secret Witness at 322-4900.
Designed by Gray Digital Media