RENO, NV - Two men were arrested Wednesday night, accused of trying to steal copper wiring from North Valleys Regional Park in Stead.
At 9:40 p.m. on Wednesday, a Sheriff’s patrol deputy says he saw a suspicious vehicle parked near the Sierra Picnic Pavilion in the south side of the park. Upon further investigation, deputies discovered that Mitchell Metcalf, 20, and Jordan Burdette, 20, were in the process of pulling copper wire from a parking lot light post as well as the park’s irrigation system, according to a news release.
Deputies arrested Metcalf and Burdette on multiple charges, including Destruction of Property, Possession of Burglary Tools and Damage to Park Property.
Residents are asked to stay alert and report suspicious activity to law enforcement.
Tips to help protect against metal theft from the Staying Safe page on the Washoe County Sheriff's Office website:
• Secure foundation openings in the crawl space of your house with a good hasp and padlock.
• If possible, build a small chain link fence or cage enclosures around the outside portions of your commercial fixtures, heating and cooling systems.
• Don’t store scrap metal outside or within view.
• Contact local law enforcement if you see any suspicious activity.
• Check your business and residential properties regularly.
• Keep a close eye on your irrigation systems and on vacant homes and businesses in your neighborhood.