Storey County Comments on Tesla Announcement

Statement by Pat Whitten, Storey County Manager

On behalf of Storey County, we want to acknowledge the tremendous collaboration that has brought us to this point with Tesla. The unprecedented media coverage received has raised the level of awareness to Western Nevada and to the valuable asset we have with the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center. We have our work cut out for us, however we know that no other state can compete with the streamlined processes we’ve put in place in Storey County for ease and efficiency of development. We are excited about the new era of possibilities the Tesla operation brings and we look forward to continuing to position this region and, specifically Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, as the place where we make it happen.

Statement by Chairman McBride, Storey County Commissioner

Storey County, in working closely with Governor Sandoval, the Governor’s Office on Economic Development, EDAWN and the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, is grateful for the opportunity to showcase our capabilities as a region to the entire country. With this very positive announcement from Tesla, everyone now sees northern Nevada, Storey County and Tahoe Reno Industrial Center as the place for commercial and industrial development projects of any size.


RENO, NV - Tesla Motors has confirmed rumors that a construction project in the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center east of Reno is a potential site for its battery gigafactory.

Tesla made the announcement in a press release Wednesday afternoon saying, "In June we broke ground just outside Reno, Nevada on a site that could potentially be the location for the gigafactory."

Speculation had been rampant that the site in the Eagle Valley portion of the industrial center just off I-80 and USA Parkway in the Truckee Canyon was being prepared for the gigafactory, but all involved in the project, including the heavy equipment operators were under the restriction of a non-disclosure agreement.

When asked why work had stopped and people had been laid off from the USA Parkway site, a representative for Tesla on a shareholder webcast said the pad was substantially completed and the company wants to work out the best deal with the state, but at this point, "the ball is in the court of the Governor's office and the Legislature." He did not elaborate, and Governor Sandoval responded with this statement: "I am pleased with today's announcement. Discussions with Tesla are ongoing."

The announcement stopped short of awarding the factory to Nevada.

"Consistent with our strategy to identify and break ground on multiple sites, we continue to evaluate other locations in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. The final site for the first gigafactory will be determined in the next few months."

The five states have been in a lobbying battle for the factory, a reported $5 billion dollar project which will employ 6.500.

Reno has been on the short list for months and, as near as anyone can tell, is the only site at which ground has been broken.

Work at "Project Tiger" began last month and continued 24/7 until last Thursday when it suddenly stopped.

Lance Gilman of the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center said the work stoppage happened at a "natural break" in the site work. Other sources said it coincided with a site inspection by corporate entities and a reported snag in negotiations between the state and Tesla.

The shutdown put 280 people out of work with little warning and no explanation. Some told us they had quit other jobs to sign on after being promised three to five years employment.

They were working 84 hour weeks under pressure to meet deadlines, but said the pay was very good.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 269442121 - kolotv.com/a?a=269442121
Gray Television, Inc.