RENO - Sbarro in the Meadowood Mall food court is closing. An employee tells KOLO 8 News Now the staff learned the restaurant was shutting down when they showed up to work Wednesday.
Sbarro Inc. is closing 155 of its U.S. locations, mostly in mall food courts. The pizza chain says the closures will impact 1,400 workers. Its unclear how many are employed at the restaurant inside Meadowood.
Jonathan Dedmon, a representative for Sbarro, says the targeted locations will close Thursday.
"The last day of business is today," he wrote in an email.
The move comes as the company is trying to improve its financial performance and update its image under yet another CEO who took over just last year.
Sbarro filed for bankruptcy protection in April 2012 when it was no longer able to contend with declining sales and rising costs. It emerged from Chapter 11 protection in November 2012, saying that it had significantly cut its debt and received a new $35 million capital infusion. Shortly after, it named James Greco, a former head of bagel chain Bruegger's Enterprises, as its CEO. Greco led a push to revitalize the chain's image by touting new recipes and ovens. But the efforts apparently didn't take hold; Sbarro named David Karam its CEO last year.