RENO (AP) - Authorities in Northern Nevada and California say they
plan to seek the death penalty for a 77-year-old Nevada man accused
of killing four women over two decades. Officials say this is only the beginning.
Washoe County Sheriff's Office says the investigation has only begun into the possible murder history of suspected "serial offender" Joseph Naso. Unsolved homicides and missing persons cases are going to be given another look.
"That is the history of serial offenders," says Washoe County Sheriff's Officer Mike Haley.
Naso is being held on suspicion of murders in 1977, 1978, 1993 and 1994 across Northern California. He lived in a home on Medgar Lane in Lemmon Valley, north of Reno.
Marin County District Attorney Ed Berberian said Tuesday the 1970s victims were Roxene Roggasch, whose body was found in Marin County; and Carmen Colon, who was found in Contra Costa County.
He identified the 1990s victims as Pamela Parsons and Tracy Tofoya, both of whom turned up in Yuba County.
Naso was arrested Monday shortly after being released from a Nevada jail in an unrelated case. Berberian says Washoe County Sheriff investigators discovered evidence on Naso last year that linked the killings together.
Officials do not expect this investigation to be restricted to Northern California and Nevada. It is expected to grow into a national investigation led by a special task force comprised of the Nevada Department of Public Safety and Washoe County Sheriff's Office.
A Naso tip line will be set up shortly says authorities. Relatives of missing persons, unsolved crimes is urged to take a good look at Naso and search their memories for any possible connections to their missing or deceased loved ones.
This is an ongoing investigation. More details will be released as they become available.