Reactions from Inside the Chaos at Renown

By  | 

RENO, NV -- The good news is everyone who was inside the Center for Advanced Medicine, building B, where the shooting took place, has been accounted for. They were on a lockdown for about two hours. KOLO 8 News Now spoke to people who were inside during the shooting who say they were allowed to walk around the halls, but couldn't leave the building or the floor. They say it does not have an intercom system, so no one really knew what was happening.

Andrew Backer had been receiving treatment in the Tahoe Tower of the main hospital and was ready to be released when he heard "code triage" being repeated over the intercom.

"I peeked out the door and asked what does that mean? They said 'when they say the same thing three times it's code for another code, so that's code for code black which means an active shooter,'" said Backer. "When it was actually happening, I felt perfectly safe and then to have fear in retrospect was an interesting perspective."

The shooting happened inside an attached building at the Center for Advanced Medicine; state Senator Debbie Smith says she was on her way out when she was suddenly stopped.

"There were many people in the hallway and most people looking for a way out and a different answer about whether they could leave or not, so people were coming and going in the halls,"

The building went on lockdown. Police officers with guns were searching rooms and hallways. Smith says she had no idea what was going on, but knew whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Suddenly, I realized I could be in danger and it became very clear and it became very surreal and it became very sad realizing that we had people just trying to do their work and had someone come shoot at them," she added.

An employee inside the building sent KOLO 8 News Now a video of what was happening inside. She wishes to stay anonymous, but says she was on the second floor when she heard a loud thud from the floor above her. She saw the police traffic outside the window and knew something had gone wrong. She and about 12 other staff members locked all the doors and kept patients away from the windows.

"These circumstances are not common; it's just nerve-wracking because they happen anywhere and everywhere now and so it's not that I don't feel safe, but it is a very close to home experience," said Smith.

She adds police acted quickly and did a thorough job of making sure everyone in the building was safe.

Everyone inside the building is safe, but understandably, shaken up. The Center for Advanced Medicine stayed closed for the remainder of Tuesday, but reopened Wednesday morning.