Police Release New Details in Walmart Shooting Investigation

John Dennis Gillane
By  | 

Three days after the shooting at the Walmart on Kietzke Lane, police are releasing new details about what was going on inside. They say just after seven o'clock that morning, John Dennis Gillane, who works at the store, walks in.

"He purchases ammunition. 50 round box of 44 caliber ammunition," says Steve Pitts, Chief of Police of the Reno Police Department.

Police say Gillane then heads to the manager's office, but sees no one inside. He waits an hour in the restroom before heading back to the office and finding a manager.

"Video surveillance shows the manager running from the office to the hallway where he's pursued by Gillane and shots are being fired in the direction of the manager," says Chief Pitts.

The manager is shot and so are two other workers.

"A total of four shots were fired during the course of this incident," says Lt. Mohammad Rafaqat of the Reno Police Department.

As Gillane holes himself up inside the office, people flee the store. Hours later, at 2:23 pm, he finally surrenders.

"The 40 caliber handgun as well as a 44 magnum revolver were recovered. The indication is only one was discharged," says Lt. Rafaqat.

Police aren't releasing the names of the three men who were shot, but say they're all managers or supervisors. One was struck in the leg and has been released from the hospital. The other two were shot in the gut. As for Gillane, he's worked at Walmart on-and-off for nine years.
Police say they're still investigating what motivated the shooting, but believe it's because Gillane was having problems at work.

"During the course of the interview, Mr. Gillane indicated that he had some employment-related grievances with Walmart," says Lt. Rafaqat.

There has been reports that Gillane was expecting to get fired on Friday, but...

"There was no meeting planned or scheduled with Mr. Gillane that morning," says Lt. Rafaqat. "So we don't know why he chose that day."

John Gillane now faces three counts of attempted murder, two counts of battery with substantial bodily harm, and one count of battery with a deadly weapon.