LAS VEGAS (AP) - Nevada is asking the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco to put a hold on a lower court order scrapping the state's decades-old voting option of "none of the above."
The emergency motion submitted Thursday by the attorney general's office says the state must finalize ballots for overseas and military voters by Sept. 7, which isn't enough time to get a ruling on the state's appeal.
U.S. District Judge Robert Jones struck down the ballot choice last week. He says the option is unconstitutional because votes for "none" don't count in election tallies and cannot win.
The Republican National Committee financed the lawsuit out of fears that votes for "none" could influence the outcomes of what are expected to be close presidential and Senate races in Nevada.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.