Man Loses Home to Fire, Cannot Call 911

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

RENO, Nev. -- A man lost his home to fire overnight in Washoe Valley and he did not even have a telephone to call 911 for help.

Truckee Meadow Fire Protection District Chief Charles Moore said the fire department was called out to a home on White Pine Dr. near Douglas Dr. at about 2 in the morning on Sunday, June 16th. By that time the attic of the home was already on fire.

Chief Moore said the cause of the fire was accidental and related to a gasoline generator in the back of the home. The resident tried to put the flames out himself, but couldn't. Because he did not have a phone, he ran to the neighbors' house but no one answered. By the time he got to a phone, the fire had spread to the house and into the attic and there was structural collapse.

Chief Moore described the fight as taking a "significant amount of time and a significant amount of water" to put out the flames. He pointed out that once a home's roof is on fire, crews have to work from the ground and that can make the battle much more difficult. In this case, it took crews from four engines and three water tenders about two hours to get the fire under control. Crews were on scene until about 5:30am.

The man who lived in the home suffered a burn to his leg while trying to put the fire out. He was treated at the scene.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 211742141 - kolotv.com/a?a=211742141
Gray Television, Inc.