Man Found Dead After Mysterious Apartment Fire ID'd

By  | 

RENO, NV- A man is dead after his apartment caught fire sometime Monday.

Reno fire officials tell KOLO 8 News Now the body of 64-year-old Jesse Southhard was discovered around 8 Monday night, when a friend went to check on him, but the fire itself may have started sometime Monday morning.

The fire happened in a two-story apartment unit in the 200 block of Limber Pine Drive in Lemmon Valley. Only one unit was damaged. The fire apparently burned itself out because of a lack of oxygen.

Investigators say sometime Monday morning, someone living in an apartment next door smelled smoke, but thought it was coming from a malfunctioning heater. It wasn't until the victim's friend went to check up on him that anyone realized a fire had started.

Sharon Spangler with the city of Reno says it's too soon to know what caused the fire, but a fire inspector is hoping people are extremely careful with seasonal things such as space heaters and candles.