October 25, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - A Northern California man charged with setting one of the largest wildfires in the Sierra Nevada's recorded history says he's not guilty.
Keith Matthew Emerald turned himself in to authorities Tuesday morning and appeared in a Fresno courtroom in the afternoon to be charged. He faces four counts stemming from a wildfire last year that burned 400 square miles in Yosemite National Park and the Stanislaus National Forest.
Prosecutors say Emerald was hunting deer with a bow Aug. 17, 2013, when he lost control of an illegal campfire. He had to be rescued from the flames by helicopter.
Federal public defender Janet Bateman says her client isn't guilty of the crime that could put him in prison for five years.
A judge said Emerald could post a $60,000 property bond to be released.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.