November 28, 2014
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) - A judge has denied a request to
postpone the preliminary hearing of a man charged with killing four
Northern California women who had matching first and last initials.
Marin Superior Court Judge Andrew Sweet told Joseph Naso on
Monday that he did not see any reason to delay the hearing
scheduled for Sept. 6 where prosecutors will lay out their evidence
against Naso to prove enough exists to put him on trial, according
to the Marin Independent Journal.
The 77-year-old Naso is charged in the killings of four Northern
California women in the 1970s and 1990s. He has pleaded not guilty
and chosen to act as his own lawyer, but asked the judge in a
somewhat rambling fashion for more time to consult a legal adviser.
Sweet noted that that he had previously told Naso he could hire
a consultant, if he wanted.
Naso was arrested after investigators found evidence of the killing in his home in Reno's north valleys, where he moved after the most recent murder.