Improper Ash Disposal Caused Washoe Valley Fire

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

RENO, Nev. (AP) - For the second time in a year, improper disposal of ashes from a fireplace or wood stove is being blamed for a dangerous wildfire that threatened dozens of homes south of Reno.

Authorities said Wednesday they don't know who's to blame but investigators were able to pinpoint the area of origin even as firefighters battled the blaze that burned 10 acres and forced evacuations of dozens of homes in Washoe Valley last Thursday.

Truckee Meadows Fire Chief Charles Moore says when the investigation is complete, he'll present the findings to Washoe County prosecutors to consider criminal charges.

Improper disposal of ashes also was the cause of a fire on the edge of the valley in January that destroyed 29 homes and was blamed for the death of a 93-year-old woman.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 179363821