RENO, Nev. - Fire Chief Mike Hernandez says a firefighter suffered first and second-degree burns while taming a sudden wildfire that spread through northwestern Nevada. This brings the total injured in this fire to 17.
Hernandez also said Friday afternoon that 25 homes had been damaged or destroyed. As well as several downed power lines in the area.
Hernandez says some areas are still seeing active flames. But
firefighters have largely contained the blaze that sent nearly 10,000 people from their homes in the middle of the night.
Intermittent snowfall in the area is helping put out the fire that started just after 12:30 Thursday night.
Roughly 160 Nevada National Guard members were assisting local
around 150 law enforcement in checking homes and keeping people out of the evacuated area.
Up to 2,000 acres were touched by the fire. Wind has been the most challenging part of fighting this fire. Those winds are expected to lay down this evening.
The cause of the fire is still being investigate and the possible cost of this fire could be in the millions.
Authorities are also asking people to stay out of the area.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.