Citizens Energy workers continue their investigation Monday afternoon Nov. 12, 2012 by digging into the front sidewalk looking for possible explanation into the explosion in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/ WTHR Chopper 13 /The Indianapolis Star, Matt Kryger)
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - A deadly Indianapolis explosion that decimated a neighborhood shows signs that aren't characteristic of natural gas explosions caused by appliances. But experts say they can't rule out a faulty furnace if conditions were right.
Investigators have looked at natural gas as a possible cause of the weekend blast that killed two people and left dozens of homes uninhabitable. The owner of the house believed to be at the center of the explosion has said the furnace had been having problems.
John Erickson of the American Public Gas Association says a faulty furnace could cause the level of damage seen. But that would involve a more serious malfunction than just a furnace pilot light going out.
He says it's unusual for two homes to be flattened in a natural gas explosion.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.