September 18, 2014
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak has ended months of speculation, announcing he will not challenge Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval in November.
Sisolak's decision dashes long-odd hopes by Democrats of finding a candidate who could give the well-funded, popular incumbent a run at the ballot box. Candidate filing begins in less than two weeks and runs through March 14.
Sisolak made his intentions known in a televised interview Monday night with political journalist Jon Ralston.
He says he did a lot of research and polling but says he's decided the timing isn't right for him to seek higher office.
Sandoval last year raised more than $3 million for his re-election campaign - a sum a late-comer to the race would have a hard time matching.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.